In the market we can find a great variety of fabrics for the blinds of our home. Each of these fabrics has its particular characteristics and advantages that differentiate them from the others.
That is why it is not very easy to know how to choose the fabric for the blinds of our home. However, here are some tips that you should take into account when choosing the fabric for your home blinds.
Tips for choosing fabrics for blinds
There are three important points to consider when deciding on a type of fabric for blinds:
- The room in which you are going to place the blinds. Blinds can be used in kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, offices and even boardrooms. Not only the size of the blinds will depend on this point, but also the type of fabric you want to choose. For example, for bedrooms, more delicate and decorative fabrics are usually chosen, which allow light to enter, but without losing privacy.
- The shape of the window. The shape of the window will also tell you the type of opening you should use, the type of blinds you are going to install, and of course, the material from which they will have to be made.
- The benefit you want to get from the blinds. Each fabric offers a particular benefit. Depending on the type of fabric, blinds can block or allow sunlight to enter, or they can be made of a translucent fabric that allows light to enter, but without losing privacy. There are even specially designed fabrics that allow the blinds to regulate temperature, as in the case of thermal blinds.
Fabric types for roller blinds
Roller blinds are the most commonly used blinds today. They do not require a lot of maintenance and have a fairly modern tone.
In general, roller blinds can use the same types of fabrics that you will find in other blinds. However, these also have three exclusive fabrics, which are:
- Screen roller blinds. The great peculiarity of the screen blinds is that its fabric allows us to regulate the entry of natural light, and graduate the privacy or visibility through the opening of the fabric. Thanks to the fact that they are made of PVC and fiberglass, they are quite resistant to the sun.
- Translucent roller blinds. The translucent blinds are designed for rooms where privacy is desired, such as a bedroom. They manage to transmit the color of the light from the outside through the fabric, but there is no visibility from the outside. This feature is lost if you choose white fabrics.
- Opaque roller blinds. This type of blinds are not so widely used. Its purpose is to prevent the access of light to a room. It is perfect for rooms where we seek that the room is completely free of natural light. It is also made of PVC, polyester and fiberglass.
Types of fabrics for panel and common blinds
In essence, both the panel blinds and the common blinds use the same type of fabric. The main difference between the two types of blinds is that one uses rods (common) and the other does not (package).
This same feature makes a difference in the fabric gathering. The paqueto rises in a natural way through waves in the fabric, while the common ones have a plank effect.
In this sense, we can find three types of fabrics:
- This type of fabric is usually the most translucent. They have a perfect finish and are usually used more for paket blinds. However, they are more prone to deformation, their cleaning is delicate and they are the most expensive on the market.
- Cotton. Cotton blinds are usually made with other types of materials. They are often used in bedrooms and living rooms because they are very cozy. In addition, they allow air to enter the room without any problem, so they offer good ventilation. It is also found in different types of opacities.
- Polyester. As expected, this type of fabric is made of a synthetic material that offers great resistance to solo. In addition, it can be easily washed in the washing machine. Being synthetic, it can be found in different colors, decorative elements and weights. And it is the most economical on the market.
Which one to use for your home?
It depends on many factors. If you want a durable fabric, it is best to choose roller blinds or those made of polyester. If you want something more delicate, cotton and linen blinds are your ideal choice.
You should also take into account what you want to achieve with the blinds. If you want a blind with which you can graduate the visibility, the screen blinds are your best option. In general, fiberglass roller blinds give an extra benefit. Because of the material they are made of, they help regulate the temperature of the room. You can look for them as thermal roller blinds.
But the decision depends entirely on what you want to get.